Wareham is on the west side of Poole Harbour about 2 miles up the River Frome, a narrow river through reed beds and marshes. There is a pub on the Quay and a hotel with a garden just below the bridge..
It is difficult to launch in Poole Harbour because the whole of the west side is a nature reserve and the nearest slipway is at Rockley Point, about 3 miles from the river mouth, though we will have to avoid going up Wareham’s other river, the Piddle. At Rockley Point they charge £37 pd for slipway use and car and trailer parking.
On Sat 1st Aug HW is at about 1251 and we could stay for up to 3 hours after HW. Rowing in with the tide we should allow 1.5 hrs (max) to get there. If the wind is from the west it will be quicker coming back than going. Tides help in both directions. So the adventure might look like this:
- 2000 Friday (Half tide) – Get boat(s) on trailer(s) at Lands End Hard
- 0930 Sat – Leave Bursledon towing boat(s)
- 1100 – Get to Rockley Point and launch
- 1130 – Leave Rockley Point
- 1300 – Arrive Wareham and have leisurely lunch and/or walk
- 1530 – Leave Wareham
- 1700 – Recover boats at Rockley
- 1830 – Reach Bursledon and leave boats on trailers
- 1000 Sun – Launch boats at Lands End Hard
What do we need:
- At least one more car with a towing hitch – Di has one but it would be good to take 2 boats
- Agreement to pay £10 a head towards parking and petrol
- If the wind is to be strong or the weather very wet we would cancel.
- Langstone Cutters may join us, bringing a Solent Galley
- It may be possible for Members to do 1 way only, if someone else can drive their car from Rockley to Wareham, or we may have to do this if too many want to go.